It was in the conference year of 1853-54 of the Wesleyan Methodist Church of Canada that Rev. Edward Sallows came to the new settlement of Collingwood Harbour. The first service was held in August of 1853 at the home of Mr. George Cathie, at the foot of Pine Street.
In 1854-55 services were held in a larger house erected by the Missionary. The land for the first Methodist Church in Collingwood was given to the Congregation by B.W. Smith. The church was built in 1858. It burned on June 14, 1863.
On September 30, 1863 the cornerstone was laid for our present Church. The building was refurbished during 1893-95 with the following improvements: a Sunday School building, a pipe organ, new lights and windows, as well as, new seats.
After Church Union in 1935 a larger Church School was needed and in 1930 a new building was dedicated. On September 18, 1930 the present organ was dedicated. The monies donated by Harry and Fred White in honour of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.H. White made it possible for the purchase of this organ. We are indebted to Captain and Mrs. F.A. Bassett for the addition of the chimes.
Renovations to the Sunday School building were undertaken in 1958 and in addition on November 15, 1958 the cornerstone was laid for a large Christian Education Building, later name Hunter Hall, in honour of the Rev. John E. Hunter, Minister of Trinity United at the time.
Through the ongoing efforts of dedicated, caring Ministry and the commitment and leadership of Trinity's own Congregation, our Church continues to project a strong Christian presence within our own community.
The congregation is indeed, grateful for these and any other gifts which have been given in memory of faithful members. Many bequests and gifts of money have also been received.
The following gifts and memorials have been presented to the Church:
- Baptismal font in 1925 by the Ladies' Aid in memory of those who served in World War I
- Bronze plaque in 1923 in memory of Mrs. William Williams, 38 years as treasurer of the Ladies' Aid by her daughter Mrs. Jessie Williams Young.
- Inscribed pulpit Bible and Hymn Book, in 1927, in memory of the late Wm. Williams, B.A., and Mrs. Williams by their daughter, Mrs. Jessie Williams Young.
- Plaque, on the occasion of the installation of the present organ in memory of Mr. & Mrs. W. H. White whose sons, Harry and Fred of Chicago were generous contributors to this fund.
- Chimes for the organ by Capt. and Mrs. F. A. Bassett.
- The chimes were placed in the Church Tower in memory of those who gave their lives or served in the armed forces during both World Wars, by the congregation.
- Pulpit Lamp, in 1953, in memory of Mrs. F. E. Comley by her husband and daughter Mrs. Margaret Robson.
- Picture, in 1953, by the pupils of the Junior Department of Sunday School in memory of Donna Protheroe.
- Communion table, in 1953, in memory of former members by the Women's Association.\a gold trimmed table runner and Latin Cross in 1953, by Dr. R. E. Robertson.
- Desk in the vestry by Wm. P. Dey and son in memory of his wife, 1958.
- Sanctuary Cross and drapes for the organ screen, in 1975, by Archie and Mary Gibson.
- 200 Hymn Books in memory of the members who had passed on, in 1972.
- Communion Chalice in memory of Mr. & Mrs. H. E. Prentice, by their daughter Mrs. Florence Scrannage.
- Painting, The Head of Christ, in memory of F. E. Courtice and D'Alton Hughes, by the Rev. & Mrs. J. E. Hunter.
- Portrait of the Rev. Edward Swallows.
- Clock in the Banquet Hall in memory of Alex Seiggel, by members of his family.
- Communion cloth, by Mr. & Mrs. Basil Brock.
- Tower Chimes in memory of Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Bull, in 1977, by their son Mr. Ron Bull and their daughter Mrs. Shirley Clancy.
- Pulpit Antependium, by the Boy Scouts.
- Flags were a gift of Miss Pearl Whitesell in 1967.